[seqfan] Re: detective work related to Creighton Dement's "Floretions"

Antti Karttunen antti.karttunen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 18:54:08 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 11:19:12 Robert Munafo <mrob27 at gmail.com> wrote
about Floretions.

I say:

Yes, Creighton has (so far) documented his system quite poorly, and thus
it remains quite obscure. However, that doesn't make it worthless. On the
contrary,
the system seems to be able to generate many "hits" to diverse fields
of mathematics. See e.g.:
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/?q=author%3Adement+extension%3A

http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/?q=author%3Adement+ref%3A

(I think this is much more worthwhile than just random playing with decimal
digits,
although I'm neither castigating clever base-related sequences.)

Robert Munafo wrote:
>P.S. Because it was submitted by Mr. Dement, I also found A124856,
>"Candidate sequence for theme song for OEIS", which lacks a defining
formula
>or floretion but really does suit its description. Perhaps he composed it.
>At any rate, you should listen to the Mpeg file!

Is this the (almost) same song as the soundtrack in the video?
It would be nice to know what is the mathematical algorithm behind it.

Yours,

Antti Karttunen