[seqfan] Re: A130011 and the definition of "slowest increasing".

M. F. Hasler seqfan at hasler.fr
Tue Jul 14 04:08:24 CEST 2015

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Frank Adams-Watters
<franktaw at netscape.net> wrote:
> Note, by the way, that neither of these always exists. One possible problem is that the
> greedy algorithm takes you to a dead end, while an infinite extenuation is possible.
>
> Flor slowest increasing, there may be two possible sequences that keep switching
> off which is the smallest at a given index.

I agree. As usual in mathematics, the best (or rather: the only
possibility to have something well defined) would be to have a precise
definition of what is meant by potentially ambiguous terms, here: "the
slowest increasing".
So far I met the notion of "faster/slower increasing" only in the
sense of asymptotic growth ( f = o(g) ), which is (I think) not enough
here.
So does it mean: for any other sequence b(), there is N such that for
all n large enough, one has a(n) <= b(n) ?
(I think it is possible that strict "<" cannot be required (see
below), but I'm not sure.)
Is this enough to have uniqueness? Must one add that, if there is
equality a(n) = b(n) for all n large enough, one has to take the
lexicographic earliest sequence with that property?
Or the sequence with the smallest slope (first differences)? (The
lexicographic earlier will need to have stronger growth to catch up
with the other one, so it is not "slower increasing"...)
If so, in the absolute (sup norm) or in the lexicographical sense?

Is the keyword "easy" still justified for this version which
" is more complicated algorithmically " ?

Maximilian