[seqfan] Re: Parking lot for bad drivers

Veikko Pohjola veikko at nordem.fi
Sat Jul 25 10:23:28 CEST 2015

Dear seqfans,

I am considering to submit my version of this parking lot problem (if it has not been done yet). The version is what I did call misinterpreted, because it refers to an idealized model of the whole: cars which can move horizontally to any direction and a parking lot which is an open square with permeable borders. It is thus just a mathematical excercise. The task is to find for an nxn square the maximum coverage by the occupied 1x1-spaces under the constraint that no rows of three occupied spaces can appear vertically, horizontally and diagonally.

Actually we have a tiling problem here. The maximum coverage of an nxn square can be obtained with a 3x3-size macrotile, but some extra challenge is offered by the evidence that a macrotile of one types can solve only 2/3 of the cases while another, symmetrical, is necessary to solve the rest.

The sequence of the maximum numbers of occupied spaces in an nxn square starts as follows: 1, 4, 6, 9, 16, 20, 25, 36, 40, 49, 64, 68, 81, ... (not in OEIS).

The original parking lot problem was launched elsewhere and then discussed by many other people. Thus, I will proceed to submission of this version only if nobody objects.

Regards,
Veikko