[seqfan] Re: Self avoiding polygons

Allan Wechsler acwacw at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 23:51:50 CET 2021

John Mason, I believe the assertion to be true. Proof sketch: rotate the
given 2n+2-edge polygon into "portrait" orientation, so that its height is
2 or more. Now position a horizontal line above the polygon, and lower it
until it contacts the northernmost boundary. This northernmost boundary
will consist of some number of disjoint horizontal line segments; pick any
one of them, and say it consists of k contiguous collinear edges. The row
of cells immediately below that segment forms a k-by-1 rectangle, which can
be removed to form a predecessor polygon with 2n edges.