[seqfan] Re: 4775 and cretan numbers

Jud McCranie jud.mccranie at mindspring.com
Sun May 17 17:06:25 CEST 1998

>I do not agree completely with Neil's sentence:
>
>> so 4775 is a candidate for the world's least interesting number
>
>because as the property proposed by Jud shows, a number can very well
>not be present in the database because it is a member of a sequence
>which fills 3 lines before reaching it.=20

Actually it will appear in A5408 (odd numbers).

>But the real trouble, as already pointed out in Fran=E7ois Le Lionnais
>book "Les nombres remarquables", is that being the least non-remarkable
>integer is a remarkable property...

That applies to all countable sets.  So all integers and rationals are
interesting, but almost all real numbers are NOT interesting!

| Jud McCranie jud.mccranie at mindspring.com or @camcat.com |
| "We should regard the digital computer system as        |
| an instrument to assist the number theorist in          |
| investigating the properties of his universe -          |
| the natural numbers."  D. H. Lehmer, 1974 (paraphrased) |