mma and embperl

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Wed Nov 10 14:12:03 CET 1999

the webmaster here has decreed that files may not
contain "[-" unless they also contain "-]"

A single "[-" or "[+" causes an error message.

This is apparently because they use "embedded perl"
when updating files to the external machine.

So i have had to put spaces around all the square
brackets in my sequences and in all my matrices, etc.

Obviously "embedded perl", whatever it is, doesn't
know that in mathematics, or in Mathematica, one
often uses square brackets.

Here is an example:
%F A046801 a[ n ] = DivisorSigma [ 0, 2^n -1 ] ]

note the extra spaces.  You don't have to worry about this,
i have a program that will take care of it.  I am just explaining
why all the mma commands in the database have been changed.

Here is part of the message i got from the webmaster:

The following report is based upon errors discovered by the
embperl processor while parsing your documents.
Common errors detected by embperl include mismatching HTML tags
and mismatching embperl markup. embperl uses the following
notation [+ +], [- -], [! !], [* *], [# #], and [7352195]. For more
information on embperl and its syntax, see
http://perl.apache.org/embperl/.

It seems to me that embperl is unnecessarily hostile to Mathematica.

End of report.

Neil Sloane