recreational sequences in the EIS

karttu at megabaud.fi karttu at megabaud.fi
Wed Jul 11 20:50:27 CEST 2001

> seq fans
>
> of course we all won't agree which sequences should be there.  i too enjoy
> recreational sequences, but i understand that not everyone does.  at any
> rate, the line has to be drawn somewhere about which sequences to keep and
> which ones to reject.  perhaps there should be a "rec" designation for
> sequences that are recreational in nature?

Isn't all pure mathematics (having not really any connection to the physical world
we live in, e.g., most of the number theory and the combinatorics as well,
c.f. John Awbrey's recent inspiring Riffs and Rotes postings here)
ultimately "recreational" in nature?

Or should we mean with "recreational" just the sequences produced with algorithms
that somehow involve the digits of the _decimal_ expansion?
(e.g. "196" sequence, some Smarandache sequences, RATS-sequences, etc.)

On the other hand, there are many sequences involving digits (bits) of
the base-2 expansion that either encode useful combinatorial structures
(say A003714, A014486 and A001477 (= the non-negative integers)),
or are involved with well-known word problems, like a Thue-Morse
or Rabbit sequence, certainly not limited to amateurs' (like me)
musings only.

Terveisin,

Antti Karttunen