OEIS Gripes

Jon Awbrey jawbrey at oakland.edu
Wed Jul 25 19:32:28 CEST 2001

¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤~~~~~~~~~¤

John Conway wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, David W. Wilson wrote:
>
> > As much as I love the OEIS, it looks as if it is becoming a dumping
> > ground for some very poor-quality stuff in terms of correctness and
> > relevancy.  The OEIS would certainly benefit from a review process.
>
> This has been my feeling for some time.  What's wrong, I think,
> is that people are dreaming up sequence to put in, rather than
> putting in only sequences that have already struck them as
> interesting.
>
> John Conway

These gripes, to me, signify what might be seen as healthy growing pains,
symptoms of a certain age that the OEIS database, like so many before it,
has now attained.  As we continue to expand our interests into the space
of D**, where D = 0..9, I think that it would be good to contemplate one
or two or three long range questions about the probable dynamics of this
e-volution, and to ask what automatics of sorts might be within our grok
to address these most likely inevitable, incrementally insistent issues.

Our reach must exceed our gripes, or what's aufhebung for?

Many Regards,

Jon Awbrey