report on OEIS

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Sat Jun 2 21:43:06 CEST 2001

1. Almost all the web pages have been changed to make them work
even with Netscape 6, and to make them load faster.

The three lookup pages have been consolidated into one.
For regular users the best top page to bookmark is

www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/index_b.html

2. I've been asked to report on statistics:

Hits per day is fairly constant at about 12000.
Number of distinct hosts served each week is about 5000.
Number of messages per day dealing with new sequences, comments and
extensions (all of which end up as emails to me)
ranges from 50 to well over 100.
Total number of sequences grows at a fairly steady rate of
about 600 per month:
Jan 1 1999: 45377; Jan 1 2000: 52547; Jan 1 2001: 58851; June 2 2001: 61820.
Number of people maintaining the database: 1 (though assisted
by many email correspondents).

It is amusing to compare this with the Sloan Digital Sky Survey
(no relation), the subject of an article in Science for 25 May 2001,
which is maintained by over a hundred astronomers, many
of whom do nothing else.  Of course they are cataloging 100 million
objects.

3. I've been thinking of adding a "web camera" which would show
the most recent sequences - and switch to another one after say 10 seconds.
Not sure of the best way to implement it though.

4. Perhaps HEAP-transform is more descriptive than G-transform?
(referring to John Layman's interesting posting)
There is now a crude implementation of it in Maple in the
transforms.txt page.

NJAS