JIS Update

N. J. A. Sloane njas at research.att.com
Wed Jun 20 02:20:17 CEST 2001

The following article has been added to the J. Int. Sequences:

The Hankel Transform and Some of its Properties

John W. Layman

Department of Mathematics
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Blacksburg, Virginia 24061
Email address:  layman at math.vt.edu

Abstract

The Hankel transform of an integer sequence is defined
and some of its properties discussed.
It is shown that the Hankel transform of a sequence S is the
same as the Hankel transform of the
binomial or invert transform of S.
If H is the Hankel matrix of a sequence and H = LU is the LU
decomposition of H,
the behavior of the first super-diagonal of U under the binomial
or invert transform is also studied.
This leads to a simple classification scheme for certain integer sequences.

The URL for the journal is
http://www.research.att.com/~njas/sequences/JIS/

By the way, I hope that the problems caused by
the new version of database files this afternoon
have now gone away.  Let me know if you notice
any strange behavior when using the database.

NJAS