More on k-automatic sequences

Olivier Gérard ogerard at ext.jussieu.fr
Sat Jun 30 06:58:27 CEST 2001

>For Seqfans not in the know, Jeffrey Shallit and I cowrote a paper for
>the EATCS a few years ago (more precisely, I supplied the idea, Jeffrey
>actually wrote and published the paper, crediting me).  The paper made
>a connection between the Collatz conjecture (3x+1 conjecture) and
>2-regular sets (sets of integers whose base-2 reps form a regular set
>(set of strings recognized by a finite automaton).

[ ... ]

>It would be nice if Mathematica provided a k-automatic set package.
>Given Wolfram's penchant for cellular automata and the like, this
>would be right up his alley.

David,

I don't know if Stephen Wolfram did (while he may have done things
like that for his announced "A New Kind of Science" book) but
I have written some basic tools for automatic sets some time after the
article in the EATCS was published, but I never made it public,
on Mathsource for instance.
I think I will have a new look at it and try to make it a package.

If other people at seqfan or mathfun are interested in working with me
on this particular thing, let's continue this discussion privately and we
will report the results to the list.

Olivier