triangle/triangle

Richard Guy rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Wed Nov 21 17:33:33 CET 2001

The equation can be written as a Baskhara
(aka Pell) equation

      (2n+1)^2 - c(2m+1)^2 = 1-c

I believe that this is solvable just if  c
is not a non-trivial square, though the
(infinitely many) solutions don't always
come from the convergents to the continued
fraction for  root c

E.g. If we try  c = 7, we get the convergents

0  1  2  3  5  8  37  45  82  127  590
1  0  1  1  2  3  14  17  31   48  223

none of which work, but the mediants

0+1      5+8             82+127