games born on day n

Richard Guy rkg at cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Fri Nov 23 18:01:28 CET 2001

(I was talking about) Normal play partizan games:

Day 0:   0

Day 1:   1  -1  *  (and 0)

Day 2:   Eighteen new ones:  2  -2  1/2 -1/2  1*  -1*
                           +/-1 up upstar down downstar
                           *2  1|*  1|0  1|0,*  *|-1
                            0|-1   0,*|-1
Day 3:   1474 - 22  new ones

See the forthcoming paper of Calistrate, Paulhus
and Wolfe (in More Games of No Chance) for more
insight into the structure of `day n' games.

Note that I misdrew the lattice of day 2 games in
various places:

Handbook of Combinatorics, p.2128

Combinatorial Games (PSAM 43) p.15

Games of No Chance, p.55  (where it's overcautiously
described as a poset)

The games  1|0,*  and  0,*|-1  are clearly more
advantageous to  R  and  L  respectively than
the same games but with one less option (i.e.
1|0  &  1|*  and  0|-1  &  *|-1 )  and should be
moved one level nearer to the middle.
Then it can be drawn using just cubes and squares
and is more visually distributive.  I'm indebted
to Dan Calistrate for pointing this out.       R.