HCF vs. GCD.

Frank Ellermann frank.ellermann at t-online.de
Wed Apr 3 00:33:49 CEST 2002

Robert G. Wilson v wrote:

> there are several sequences which employ the term
> HCF as opposed to the more common term GCD.

Maybe "we" (i.e. Neil :-) should add HCF to the Index,
(ab)using %N A056582 as definition (?).

> should we standardize to one term or leave both alone?

I didn't know HCF until I found it some weeks ago in
Davenport's "The Higher Arithmetic", so please don't
change GCD to HCF.

For the internationalization of EIS one term could be
better, but if somebody replaces ln by log, or Ar...h
by arc...h in one of "my" sequences I wouldn't like it
(and try log hyp or Area ... hyp in a future update ;-)

             Bye, Frank