Methods of searching -- re part of: parity of integer sequences

Rick Shepherd R.Shepherd at prodigy.net
Fri Aug 2 23:48:53 CEST 2002

Please let me add my name to the people who would appreciate
and actually use some sort of general wildcard searching.

I don't normally like to recommend software but I want to point out
that the following exists and there may be other similar tools available.
Here is an immediate, partial solution for some people.  Back in April,
I found some (Windows) freeware called Hilitext (v1.1) that will highlight
items already displayed *or* about to be displayed in browser (and other
program) window(s).  By default, it will highlight all matches in yellow.
It already supports wildcards (at least of the ? and * kind mentioned below.).
It also supports whole word matching, so, for example, if one wanted to
highlight only all terms,say, that are precisely 23 without matching others
where "23" is embedded within another string of digits, this can be
done easily too.  (This all works fine for me with no glitches using Win 98
SE and Internet Explorer 5 and is supposed to work in many other
environments.).  I found this at www.nonags.com under "Text Utilities"
category near bottom of list.

In addition to the more-or-less standard wildcard capabilities, it could be
useful if search attempts could also specify to match only *up to n*
characters (or terms):  There are cases where you know that the numbers
you are seeking would be near the beginning of a sequence and you
have a fairly good upper bound (but not necessarily lower bound) on how
soon your target should appear.  The lack of this type of search can cause
many false hits, often in the depths of decimal expansions of common
fractions, for example.

One more comment related to searches:  It would be helpful if the (standard)
OEIS search told us how many matches are being displayed!  I've often
found myself counting to see whether I've already got 30 (or just 29) matches
displayed before launching a second, Advanced request asking for 100 (or more).
A simple "There are more matches not displayed" or "All matches are displayed"
would prevent having to do this (and could prevent some unnecessary search
launches too.).

Thanks for prompting this discussion,
Rick (Shepherd)