Guinness Book of Records??

Antti Karttunen karttu at megabaud.fi
Thu Aug 22 23:53:33 CEST 2002

"Robert G. Wilson v" wrote:

> Neil,
>
>         Before I call England on my dime, I think that this one needs to be resolved!
>
> Sequentially yours,
> Bob.
>
> Antti Karttunen wrote:

> > On what subject OEIS would be a record holder?
> > We can find several, but a field were there are
> > at least some competition, but nothing serious
> > for a long time, might be good?
> > I mean, "The database with the largest number of integer sequences"
> > is almost a tautology...
> > The database with most ???
> > (not the number of "entries", surely, but, say, the amount
> > of new material arriving per day, from volunteers?)
> > Or ???
> > Would "The database with largest number of mathematical formulae"
> > win?
> >
> Math World would probably have this one.

(Eric, please copy them to OEIS as well 8->! Many are not so discrete
though...)

But, using my 29 May 2002 backup of OEIS bulk files, I get:
cat eis*.txt | grep '^%F ' -c
13147
entries with the Formula line given.
(plus all those cases where the formula is given on %N-line,
and the cases with no %F-line, but there's a Maple or Mathematica
or Pari-snippet essentially giving the formula).

But even without the formulae, each non-finite EIS-sequence
defines a well-defined (well, in most cases...) N -> Z function.

(Hmm, each mapped piece of the human genome defines a
N -> {G,A,C,T} function...)

-- Antti