Guinness Book of Records??

Franklin T. Adams-Watters franktaw at netscape.net
Sat Aug 24 04:15:54 CEST 2002

Actually, there's good reason to think pi is not the MOST FAMOUS TRANSCEDENTAL CONSTANT OF *THE WHOLE COSMOS*.  It's only a historical accident that we wound up with the ratio of the circumference to the diameter.  It could just as easily have been 2*pi: the ratio of the circumference to the radius.  And while the relationship is obviously trivial, 2*pi is slightly more fundamental mathematically: it is the period for sin and cos, among other things.

--
Franklin T. Adams-Watters
16 W. Michigan Ave.