three binomial(n,k) definitions

Frank Ruskey fruskey at cs.uvic.ca
Mon Dec 16 08:30:27 CET 2002

I agree with Brendan that we should not play with the
standard definition of the binomial coefficients.

I.e., binomial(z,k) is 0 if k < 0
and the degree k polynomial z(z-1)...(z-k+1)/k! otherwise.

The non-standard definition of Maple -- with non-zero
values for some negative k -- has caused me many headaches
and is one of my biggest gripes with Maple.  Any Maple
experts care to comment?

Also, are there instances in OEIS where non-standard
definitions of binomial(n,k) are used?  Such usage should
definitely be noted.

-Frank

Frank Ruskey                     e-mail: fruskey at cs.uvic.ca
Dept. of Computer Science        fax:    250-721-7292
University of Victoria           office: 250-721-7232
Victoria, B.C. V8W 3P6 CANADA    WWW: http://www.cs.uvic.ca/~fruskey