gif vs png

Hugo Pfoertner hugo at pfoertner.org
Wed Jun 5 22:08:08 CEST 2002

Neil,

If high quality and scalable resolution is important, then
vector graphics is the only choice. I guess that photographs
and continuos tone pictures are not the main focus for the
visualization of sequences. There may be exceptions, e.g.
the sequence in http://www.enginemonitoring.org/sphere/
where color definitely helps ;-)
I prefer to have a Postscript or EPS file that can be edited,
e.g. with Adobe Illustrator. For the final presentation
a PDF file keeps all the graphical details at minimum file size.
For a web page the difference between .png and .gif both in quality
and size isn't dramatically different, unless you need animation,
which is only available in .gif. The PNG format includes the
ability to handle continuous tone pictures/photographs thus avoiding
the need for two different formats gif/jpeg.
PNG is now also well supported in MS office applications, making a
MS word document with embedded PNGs astonishingly small.
Including EPS files in MS office documents had some problems (previewing
etc.) that may have disappeared with later MSOffice versions.
(The latest I now is "2000")

In Netscape Communicator 4.73 PNG and some other graphic and multimedia
formats are handled in my installation by the QuickTime Plug-In,
which makes the display of PNG's much slower than the embedded display of
GIFs or JPEGs. Here are some examples, together with the reference pdf,
where you can zoom into all details without any loss of quality.

The GIFs and PNGs in the following examples were all created
from Postscript files with Adobe Illustrator 9 with the function
"Save for use in the Web" (German: Fuer Web Speichern...).
This function tries to avoid aliasing effects caused by the
rasterizing by adding gray tones to the original B&W picture.
The resulting GIFs or PNGs only look good in the selected
resolution, but may look awful if zoomed or reduced in size.

The reference (2 pictures)
http://www.enginemonitoring.org/random/stwalk4d/stw4d25s.pdf  (14k for 2 pics)
Legibility strongly dependent on background color:
http://www.enginemonitoring.org/random/stwalk4d/st25lin.gif (15k)
My Plug-In displays this one with white background:
http://www.enginemonitoring.org/random/stwalk4d/st25lin.png (10k)

Look at the right part of the diagram where lines get closer and closer:
http://www.enginemonitoring.org/random/stwalk4d/st25log.gif (29k)
http://www.enginemonitoring.org/random/stwalk4d/st25log.png (12k)

Thanks to NJAS for:
http://www.enginemonitoring.org/sphere/icoscov.pdf
(156k for 4 pict, page 4 corresponds with the following pictures)
http://www.enginemonitoring.org/sphere/5072.gif (77k)
http://www.enginemonitoring.org/sphere/5072.png (78k)

Hugo Pfoertner

Contact Info: http://www.pfoertner.org/