# Adjacent Pairs In Permutations Both Odd...

Leroy Quet qqquet at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 5 01:38:09 CET 2002

UGGG!! I just checked this numerically with Mathematica, and it didn't
check out.

 From Mathematica, I have the sequence (of the TOTAL number of occurrences
of adjacent elements both being odd in all of the permutations) starting
as:

0, 0, 4, 12, 144, 720, 8640, 60480, ...

What I am pretty sure of is (what I originally figured out {hopefully
correctly} & checks out numerically for the values above): If a(m) is the
m_th term,

a(2m) = (2m-1) a(2m-1).

My original formula works for m <= 4, which threw me off, since I only
checked my formula numerically by hand for m <= 4.

But I know not the recursive or closed formula for the sequence of
a(2m-1)s.

I'll maybe continue to work on this or simply give up. It seems like an
easy problem, but I keep wasting my time making errors.

Thanks,
Leroy Quet

-------