circle problem

Rick Shepherd R.Shepherd at prodigy.net
Mon Nov 18 20:48:36 CET 2002

That's the same configuration I independently found.  Although I haven't
taken the time to think through the generalization, it's easy to see that
there are a large number of configurations (all permutations of the q blue
and r red balls in the q+r remaining fixed locations) which will solve it
once the locations of the p black balls are determined and fixed for the
pair (p+q+r, k).

The original statement of this problem closely resembles a problem which, if
I recall correctly, is called the Josephus Problem (every 10th person
removed, which relates to the word "decimate", as I was reminded by my son,
who's studying Latin now.).

Rick Shepherd