[Graphs with n edges]

Brendan McKay bdm at cs.anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 11 01:34:01 CEST 2002

* Christian G. Bower <bowerc at usa.net> [021011 02:53]:
> Brendan McKay <bdm at cs.anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > Harary and Read once discussed this issue in a paper called
> > "Is the null-graph a pointless concept?".
>
> I remember my combinatorics teacher mentioning that article (but not of
> its contents.) I think he was of the opinion that there is a null graph,
> but I won't bet any money on that.
>
> Anyway, based on that, perhaps the title of both sequences should begin
> "non-null". That should be correct with either interpretation.

This would only be a good idea if all the graph sequences in the
database were checked to see if "non-null" is appropriate there too.
Given the very large number of such sequences, I suggest not changing
anything.  In case anyone wonders whether the null graph is included
in a sequence they just have to look at the first term.

Brendan.