Random Sequencing

Rainer Rosenthal r.rosenthal at web.de
Tue Sep 17 09:33:34 CEST 2002

"David Wilson" <davidwwilson at attbi.com> schrieb am 17.09.02 00:18:13:
> If you input three random numbers from 0 to 100, you will find an average of
> 1.073 sequences.
>
> If you input three random numbers from 0 to 10, you will find an average of
> 383.512 sequences.

Hmm... funny information.
I think it's more interesting to know the probability of *some* hit for
a given set of three random numbers.
The kind of "average" given above seems quite meaningless to me,
since sequences are multiply counted obviously. What sense will it make
to count all the sequences starting 0, 1, 2 ... ? Here *one* random
sample with numbers 0,1,2 will get an overwhelming number of hits,
which drives the average up without real meaning.

With friendly regards
Rainer Rosenthal
r.rosenthal at web.de

WEB.DE MyPage - Ultimatives Kommunikationstool! Ihre Message sofort
online! Domain aenderbar! http://www.das.ist.aber.ne.lustige.sache.ms/