Josephus problem?

Joshua Zucker Joshua_Zucker at castilleja.org
Wed Apr 23 01:01:22 CEST 2003

Hi folks,
As I mentioned earlier, I found on the net another problem that seems to
lead to the same sequence as A005428 (which, in turn, appears to be the
same as A073941.  My sequence seems more naturally related to 73941, so
I'm curious what the relationship might be to the Josephus problem.  I
thought, though, that the Josephus sequence was A007495, so I need some
help understanding what is meant by "Josephus problem" as the description
of A005428.

I tried things like: values of n for which person #1 survives
but they didn't seem to work.

Can anyone give me a clue?

Thanks,
--Joshua Zucker