Distinct Permutation-based Sums

Leroy Quet qq-quet at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 13 02:25:26 CET 2003

>Leroy Quet wrote:
>
>>Consider the permutations of {1,2,3,...,n}.
>>Let [b(k)] be any one such permutation.
>>

>>If we have an integer sequence {a(k)}, we can take the sum, for the
>>particular permutation b,
>>

>> sum{k=1 to n}  a(k)*b(k).
>>

>If all such sums are distinct for different permutations, we say that
>sequence {a(k)} distinguishes the permutations of order n.
>
>I know a programming contest problem asking to find such sequence for
>n=5 with minimum value of
>A=sum{k=1 to n} a(k).
>And the answer is { 0, 2, 5, 21, 91 } with A=119.
>
>Similar sequence for n=6 is likely to be { 0, 1, 6, 32, 172, 950 } with
>A=1161 (but I haven't checked it up).
>
>Another variation is to minimize
>max { a(k) }
>For n=5 it gives sequence { 0, 1, 8, 38, 87 }.

Interesting. But to clarify, the sequence I am asking about is fixed
for all values up to a(m-1), *then* a(m) is determined.

So, the first 4, say, terms would be the same for all permutations,
no matter how many terms (>= 4) are in them.

>>But, as I am guessing,
>>
>>there is a specific infinite positive integer sequence {a(k)}, where
>>
>>a(1) = 1,
>>

>a(1)=0 looks more natural for me.

Possibly. If we add any same constant integer to  every term, the
permutations are still distinguished for any particular m. (So the 1-to-0
shift for a(1) could be a job for Superseeker.)
:)

Leroy