Colouring Graphs

Jim Nastos nastos at cs.ualberta.ca
Sat Feb 1 19:46:56 CET 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Jon Perry wrote:

> If we have a graph with the edges coloured with no rules, what colouring are
> allowed for the vertices such that if n vertices have the same coloured edge
> in common, then they must be coloured differently?

  Are you saying: (1) If M = set of all vertices which have an m-coloured
edge adjacent to them, all all vertices in M must be coloured differently.
Or (2) If M = set of all vertices on *one* specific coloured edge, then
all vertices in M must be coloured differently. ?
  If (1) then I don't see how your first example satisfies this because
every vertex in the graph is adjacent to both r & b edges. If (2), then M
is always of size 2 and this reduces to the common notion of vertex
colouring.
  Please be more formal in what you are trying to say... define your sets
and terms.

  Jim