Rubik cube sequence?

Brian L. Galebach briang at SEGmail.com
Fri Feb 21 23:39:38 CET 2003

I don't think I said that right.  What I'm trying to say is that the 10th
term of the sequence must exclude positions that are reachable in 9 moves or
less.  Therefore, some positions that are reachable within 10 moves should
not be included in the total for the 10th term.  (11th term since 0 moves is
the first term.)  So how would one say this?  Perhaps "Positions reachable
in n moves, but not reachable in less than n moves."  Kind of wordy.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian L. Galebach [mailto:briang at segmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2003 5:33 PM
To: seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr
Cc: briang at ProbabilitySports.com
Subject: RE: Rubik cube sequence?

Hello,

I can't tell by quick inspection of the terms given so far, but I just
wanted to make sure you were calculating the same thing as in A079761.  That
sequence gives the number of positions that are n moves away from being
solved.  Translated another way would be "positions reachable in at most n
moves".  Therefore, the 100th term of the sequence, for example, would be 0,
whereas "reachable in n moves" or "reachable within n moves" would give the
total number of combinations in the cube.

Brian