a/b + b/c + c/a = n (Extend A072716?)

all at abouthugo.de all at abouthugo.de
Thu Jul 17 00:04:01 CEST 2003

Forwarded message from Dave Rusin:

rusin at math.niu.edu schrieb am 16.07.2003, 23:16:48:
<<
> How far can A072716 now be extended without too much risk of missing
> an early term?
I believe you can extend the list comfortably into the low hundreds,
with certain caveats: if the list given is in fact incorrect, then
much more important parts of mathematics will be called into question
than a simple sequence; specifically, if the list is presented as
"complete, assuming the Birch-Swinnerton-Dyer conjecture", then should
a counterexample be found, all algebraic geometers will stop dead in
their tracks.

How about if I prepare a careful summary of the algebraic-geometry
approach to this problem, specifically flagging the "conditional"
entries
on the list? Is anyone else in your mailing-list group working on
that approach already? (No need for me to duplicate efforts.)

dave