njas Re: 2 puzzles What??

Don McDonald parabola at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jul 18 13:36:20 CEST 2003

In message <200307180956.FAA47083 at fry.research.att.com> you write:

> These just came in

(Quickly)
warning bells.

> I don't know the answers!

Thank you Neil,

Here's my answrrs!!

then we do not know if it is an interesting puzzle
or a waste of time.

What tests have you done?
Can you guarantee it is a good problem?

> NJAS
>
> Lookup  18, 9, 11, 14, 7, 9, 12
> (Possible answers are: 5, 6, 14, 20

is that 4 answers or a continuation of 4 terms, please?

> Lookup  4, 12, 6, 12, 36, 18, 36
> (Possible answers are: 108, 112, 128. 130. 134

who sent them in?
how did they get the numbers?

The last puzzle like this was not very clever.
something like. (fwded NS)
48 36
32 18

4x8=32
3x6=18, ...

it counted down and came to a dead stop at the next term.

I'll resend the questions that should be asked.!
They sometimes need more artificial silliness than
oeis [online encyclopedia of integer sequences]
 mathematics to figure out.       // don.mcdonald

seqfans, gerard o, moderator,

someone recently posted
subject : A0 ??? etc.

body: what is the meaning of [a certain sequence id.] A0...??

[He?] did not give any terms or description or seq author?

everyone shivers, Was that one of my poor sequences?
Mumbles: well I can barely remember my phone number.
And ignores.

(please moderator-- can they ask for more info.)

another mathematician posted
subject: a/b+ b/c + c/a=n.

table.
d  e  f    n.
==  ==  ==  ==.

[without saying what d e f meant.]
I urge there should be a recap of relation of d e f to a b c n.

another mathematician (RG) posted something like
'interesting question' and quoted the entire article
without any interpretation.

another mathematician (perhaps pre yk)  asked:
 is
333333333333333333whatever   prime?

[He?] did not easily state where the mixed digits came from.
21st cyclotomic polynomial whatever??

A formula such as 37!+1 or similar (factorial) could have been
a convenient shorthand formula.
or c*a^b+n.

Because, I have tackled world record primes (year 1987)
in multiply-exponent form.
4*Worlds largest known prime+3 has divisors 7, 6199, 92219.

What is (Sir Arthur) Eddington number. [1930s/
space mission? 21st Century.]
Claimed the number of protons in the Universe.

In shorthand equals identically
17*2^259.
(I factorised printout in Guinness  Book of Records 1991?)
(Can be constructed with Euclidean tools. compass and straight edge.)

(Quickly,)
thank you

don.mcdonald
18.07.03  23:12