URL now part of sequence!

r.shepherd r.shepherd at prodigy.net
Thu Jun 12 17:11:12 CEST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Frank Ellermann" <Frank.Ellermann at t-online.de>
To: <njas at research.att.com>
Cc: "EIS fans" <seqfan at ext.jussieu.fr>
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2003 10:18 AM
Subject: Re: URL now part of sequence!

> N. J. A. Sloane wrote:
>
> > make the Id line into a link:
>
> > Here is Sequence A000688 (this will take a moment):
> >            *******
> > ID Number: A000688 (Formerly M0064 and N0020)
> >            *******  <- THIS COULD BE THE LINK
>
> That's nice.  And it's very near to Antti's idea, he wanted
> links to the next (in your example A000689) resp. previous
> sequence.  Now a click on the ID shows the sequence again
> with the URL in the location line, and then it's easy to add
> one for the next sequence.

Yes!  Hi, I want it all! <grin>  I had similar wishes about making
the ID number itself a link, some benefits being:

1) For example, do Sequence search for 1,1,2,4,9; get a list
of 90+ sequences complete with full text; find the one you want,
click on its ID line to cause the window to redisplay so that only
the one sequence of current interest can be seen/printed in its usual
format (followed immediately by end-of-page stuff) easily.
2) Same as above but in some browsers at least Right-Mouse-Click
on ID and Copy Shortcut to get full link for cutting-and-pasting
elsewhere.
3) Same as above but this browser (MS IE) has several other
options with Right-Mouse-Click, including directly Print Target,
Save Target, Open in New Window, etc.

It would be perfect if the target link for Annnnnn were short
enough that most (at least *my* <still grinning>) e-mail program
wouldn't break the link into two pieces when I try to e-mail it
to others (I don't know if there's some kind of general-purpose
link wizardry that can be done at the server without much trouble
to make these shorter while still having the data/script in the same
place(s) with same names -- but there ought to be.  ...some kind
of aliasing....

To have a button for Previous and Next would also be good,
because so often consecutive sequences are related -- and sometimes
those are the least likely to be cross-referenced (because of that).
(Of course, there could be gaps in the numbering at any given time.)

Thanks,
Rick