[seqfan]Re: accident?wat exactly.parallel seqs.

Don McDonald parabola at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jun 15 05:40:35 CEST 2003

In message <002201c332c3$b2824840$7de31e43 at oemcomputer> you write:

> From: "Emeric Deutsch" <deutsch at duke.poly.edu>
>
> > Dear seqfans,
> > Let me reformulate my puzzling remark. Hopefully
> > in a clearer way.

Not much clearer?  And subject line needs expansion.

> > I type in
> > 1,2,5,12,29,70.
> > I get 3 sequences; I list the three terms following the above ones:
> > A000129: 169 408 985
> > A054196: 169 410 1005
> > A054198: 169 409 995

What exactly do you propose is an accident*?
That 3 seqs begin:
1,2,5,12,29,70.  169 4...

If you will identify  what is (unusual) you'll likely half explain
that it may not be (unusual.)

Well 1, and 2, are not a very unique start.
And 5,12,29,70
and even subsequent terms grow or increase fairly uniformly.

?? It happens very often..*  [snipped by previous poster.]

Do you mean with a different start? Different seqs?
How often?
40 nPr 6 = inches in 10 miles = 633600.

Names and numbers are not random.

In 1977 one Donald Stuart McC   and myself
            Donald Stuart McD...      no relation,
            worked in the same office.

In 198x I got a call "is that Stuart McDonald? phone 896-820? Dunedin NZ"
Well no, but close! This is Don Stu McD Wellington   896-820.
Same name and number but different city.**

So we need nearly 1 dozen digits to get a unique phone number.
911 999 111 aren't unique.

4 million hex  = 3D 0900.

> > The 7th terms coincide, the 8th terms are very close, and even
> > the 9th terms are close enough.
> > It happens very often.                        ***

Compare closest lotto combinations (combination sequence number.)
Out of 800 lotto draws with 40 C 6 combinations, the closest
pair of draws may be very close.  In New zealand a particular
man won    loto 2 weeks in a row, Ist division.

It is also (very common) for 2x radio active decays
Geiger clicks from a sample to happen close together // or far apart.
This is expected for random events.

Especially double lightning strikes, and Earthquakes.(?)

> > Thanks for your comments.
> > Emeric
>
> Well, I can only offer speculation, some of which may inspire criticism
> and get you a "real" (i.e., more statistical/numerically analytic) answer.

> Interesting (philosophical but not necessarily mystical) puzzle, though,
> Rick

-- don.mcdonald

15.06.03   15:15

(day=hr=min=15.  day, month,yr = multiples of 3, triangular nos.

last night's lucky nos. 12 13 14 16 19 24.. Bonus (6 40 )
Loto draw NZ #832 = 8*104 =13*16* hcf(12,24,40) .
Birthdays 12-13-14-16-  Jun mth 06  year 19-40/)

not accident?  but interesting.