Evil Idea

Leroy Quet qqquet at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 17 23:50:18 CEST 2003

>I was looking at Sloane's database, and noticed he had to replace all the @'s
>in e-addys with (AT)'s to thwart the spammers.  Thinking about this gave
>me an evil
>idea.  What if there was a CGI script that generated an endless stream of
>random
>but plausible-looking e-mail links?  What happens when a harvestbot happens
>upon that script?

I had an almost-similar idea where I would manually come up with a bunch
of false addresses to put at the bottom of my sci.math posts; admittedly
an ineffective idea. But I needed to make a protest. (I have not done
this, though....too lazy.)

But what if this was done all over the internet, and the email addresses
redirected the SPAM emails to, say, the in-boxes of law-makers and the
known (tricky here) email-addresses of junk-emailers?

What the internet needs, instead of charging EVERY emailer a fee (which
the junk-emailers would get around anyway), is the 900-number-equivalent
of email addresses...
(How would this be enforced????....and without the spammers faking their
sent-from addresses???)
But would not it be funny if junk-emailers sent 1000's of emails to such
addresses...then got charged a fee for each message sent!!?

Oh, to dream....
;)

Thanks,
Leroy Quet