Fwd: Diophantine equation with factorial

David Wilson davidwwilson at attbi.com
Thu Jun 26 03:48:57 CEST 2003

Richard:

Clearly, in

[1] n! = (x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2),

x+y is the minority factor.  Indeed, assuming nonnegative
x and y, we can show that

x+y <= (4n!)^(1/3).

I assume your thoughts then proceed that all the prime
divisors of x^2-xy+y^2 are congruent to 1 mod 3, so that
all primes not congruent to 1 mod 3 must divide x+y, and
that for sufficient n, there will be enough such prime
divisors to force x+y > (4n!)^(1/3).

Unfortunately, the argument is not that simple.  The
observation that all the prime divisors of x^2-xy+y^2
are congruent to 1 mod 3 rests on the assumption that
gcd(x,y) = 1, and we do not have that luxury.  For example,
if x and y are both even, so is x^2-xy+y^2.

Letting g = gcd(x,y), x = gx', y = gy', we have

Now we can assert that all prime divisors of x'^2+x'y'+y'^2
are congruent to 1 mod 3, but unfortunately, g^3(x'+y') in
[2] is not such a minority factor of n! as is x+y in [1].
I don't know if the idea can be salvaged.