A079279--a humble admission

Matthew Vandermast ghodges14 at msn.com
Wed Mar 26 23:47:51 CET 2003

Dear Professor Guy,

Do you mean "for this sequence," or "for future generalizations of the
sequence"?  If you mean "for this sequence," I believe not, because the
maximum distance between the nth term and the (n + 3)rd term is 10.
Therefore, a number will never be able to join the sequence because of its
being a multiple of 11, or a higher prime; no number that is a candidate for
membership in the sequence will ever share that factor (or higher) in common
with the 3 numbers that will determine its membership or
non-membership--namely, the 3 most recent members of the sequence.  It all
comes down to the presence or absence of the numbers 2, 3, 5, and 7 in the
number's prime factorization; in any case, this is what I have aimed to
prove (although I would have liked to be able to make this more explicit in
my original message; thanks for giving me a chance to do so).

My original conclusion was wrong because of the distance of 10 between the
16 mod 30 terms and (three terms down the line, until the number 203 joins
the sequence) the 26 mod 30 terms.  Because this distance is greater than 7,
the first 16 mod 30 term that is a multiple of 7 (i.e., 196) draws a 23 mod
30 term (i.e., 203) into the sequence (203 is also coprime to 201 and 202,
the other two key terms, which also enables it to join the sequence).  I
should have seen this possibility, of course!  But this can never happen
with primes greater than 10, or at least I think I've proven this.  (I am
far from being a trained mathematician, and it may still be that I have
skipped steps I should have made more explicit, or maybe there is just a gap
in my reasoning somewhere; I've tried to prevent this, though.)

If you mean "for future generalizations of this sequence":   maybe, maybe
not.  I've looked at the sequence that starts 1,2,3,4, and continues by
always including the next integer a)larger than any that has yet appeared
and b)that shares factors with some but not all of the previous 4 terms.
This also appears to depend on the modulus 210, for the same reasons, and
also apparently includes all the numbers that are in this sequence, plus
some others.  (I'll have to do some double-checking before I submit the
sequence, though--if it is not already in by now.)  It could be that all
such sequences depend on the modulus 210.  As for the generalization
starting with 1,2, and depending on the most recent 2 numbers, this quickly
reaches 2,4, and terminates.

Best regards,
Matthew