Preventing Duplicate Sequences

Leroy Quet qqquet at mindspring.com
Sat May 10 01:53:37 CEST 2003

There are two reasons I can think of why two or more sequences that are
almost (ie. by some simple transform) alike should NOT *necessarily* be
consolidated into one.

1) the sequences might actually be unrelated sequences, except that they
are alike (by some simple transform) for only the terms in the database.
In this case, I would at least suggest in the comment-line that the
seemingly-related sequences are *conjectured* to be related.

2) many related (similar by simple transformations) sequences may have
basic-definitions, where each is likely to searched by EIS users. (I
would suppose that most users of the database never attempt to plug their
sequences into superseeker.) If superseeker becomes very fast and
efficient, then automatically applying it someday to all inputted
sequences (which do not initially match anything) would be a good idea.

Thanks,
Leroy Quet

PS- In regards to (1), I would assume that there are many (technically,
there ARE an infinite number of) sequences which match EXACTLY other
mathematically-unrelated sequences for the terms in the database.
In this case, I would highly encourage the use of *conjecturing*, in the
comment-line or name-line, that any "matching" sequences are indeed the
same sequence, if the two sequences MIGHT be the same. And I would guess
that there are many examples, also, of two sequences, which are KNOWN to
be unrelated, matching for all of the terms in the database.

Same goes for any sequences "matching" by use of a simple transformation.

Thanks again.