powers of PseudoAntisymmetric (-1,0,1)- Matrices

wouter meeussen wouter.meeussen at pandora.be
Sat Nov 15 20:01:39 CET 2003

One counter-example to spoil things a bit:

for n=7, a small sample of (-1,0,1)-matrices whose powers are 'same',
shows that not all are pseudo-Antisymmetric (= AntiSymmetric + Diagonal)

try:
{
{-1,  0,  0, 1, 0,  0,  0},
{ 0, -1,  0, 0, 0,  0,  0},
{ 0,  0,  0, 0, 0,  1, -1},
{-1,  0,  0, 0, 0,  0,  0},
{ 0,  0,  0, 0, 1,  0,  0},
{ 0,  0, -1, 0, 0, -1,  1},
{ 0,  0, -1, 0, 0, -1,  0}
}

so my program might have missed some for n=4 or n=5,
since I examined only the pseudo-antisymmetric ones.

But the (powerlength = divisor of 12) remains valid.

When interpreted as adjacency-matrices of (oriented?) graphs,
do their matrix-powers have a 'graph-theoretical meaning'?

Wouter.