Permanents and determinants of (0,1) matrices

Gordon Royle gordon at csse.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 3 15:55:03 CET 2003

> n=6: Computing the determinants of all 2^36 6X6 (0,1) matrices took
> ~6 days CPU on a 500 MHz Digital Alphastation (using Gauss elimination).
> I'll not try the permanents ... maybe someone else in this group with
> more powerful resources could attack this problem?

Actually,  I think that large computer power is not needed..

Any nxn 0/1 matrix is the bipartite adjacency matrix of a bipartite graph
with two parts of size n.

Each different labelling of this graph that preserves the two parts (ie does
not interchange them) will give a different 0/1 matrix with the same
permanent as the original matrix.

However the number of different labellings of such a graph is

    n! x n! / g

where g is the size of the automorphism group of the *bicoloured* graph (ie.
only count automorphisms that do not exchange the two parts).

The advantage of this is that one graph with a trivial group will account
for over half a million matrices in one hit, and of course we expect most of
the graphs to have trivial group....

So, calculate the bicoloured graphs on 6+6 vertices - this takes about 1
second to compute using Brendan McKay's "genbg" program, as there are only
251610 bicoloured graphs.

Find their groups (not permitting the parts to exchange): about 3 seconds to
compute.

Find their permanents: about 20 seconds using a 10-line naive C program that
simply goes through all possible permutations to find the permanent.

Each graph with group of size g will yield

    6! x 6! / g

matrices, all with the same permanent.

Add it all up and in less than 30 seconds cpu time we get the values
below......

Permanents of 6x6 0/1 matrices
(both singular and non-singular)
--------------------------------