maximum permanent of (0,1)-matrices with various conditions

Edwin Clark eclark at math.usf.edu
Sat Nov 15 03:19:17 CET 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:25:30 -0600
From: Pante Stanica <pstanica at mail.aum.edu>

Hello,

    My email address has changed from the seqfan-registered stanica at strudel.aum.edu to pstanica at mail.aum.edu, so I cannot post directly to seqfan (but I am being forwarded the messages). So, please post this on seqfan, if you will.

   Regarding the maximum/minimum values of the permanents of (0,1)-matrices: I just returned from MCCCC03 (Midwest Conference on Combinatorics, Computing and Cryptography at Univ. of Nevada at Las Vegas) where Seok-Zun Song (Cheju National Univ., Korea) gave a talk on Max/Min permanents of (0,1)-matrices. He followed one of his papers from Linear Algebra and Applic. Volume 373, 1 November 2003, Pages 197-210, where he determines "exactly" those values for matrices having a fixed no. of zeros. He gave me a copy of the paper. I skimmed through it in the airport, but I haven't looked carefully at all the results. It seems though that the problem may have been solved now.

Best,
Pante Stanica
Auburn Univ. Montgomery
Mathematics Department