Euler, Opera Omnia refs without title

Rainer Rosenthal r.rosenthal at web.de
Sun Nov 16 21:40:35 CET 2003

On November 3rd Ralf asked:

> we would just need someone with the Opera Omnia at
> hand to add the title to the %D entries, so that
> someone other without book access (like me) can look
> it up at dartmouth and (if available) add the resp.
> %H entry. If you have the occasion then please help.

Hermann Kremer (de.sci.mathematik) played the role of
the "someone" and finally succeeded in providing the
information. The references are added in the meantime,
which is a fine thing. Thanks to the "someone other".

Hermann Kremer told me that it would be nice to have the
Eneström numbers (E388, E283 etc.) as well, since they
are as popular in citing Euler's opera as the Köchel-
Verzeichnis numbers in citing Mozart's.

See his "additional remark":
An additional remark: The Enestrom numbers of Euler's
publications are due to the Swedish mathematician Gustaf
Hjalmar Eneström (1852-1923),
http://www.lysator.liu.se/runeberg/sbh/a0299.html
one of the greatest personalities in history of mathematics,
who introduced them in 1910.

I gave Hermann my word, I would forward his wish. The list was:

E388: Vollständige Anleitung zur Algebra. Zweiter Theil: Von Auflösungen
      algebraischer Gleichungen und der unbestimmten Analysis.
      St. Petersburg 1770

E283: De numeris primis valde magnis.
      Novi commentarii academiae scientiarum Petropolitanae 9(1762/63),
      pp. 99-153. Printed 1764.

E326: Observationes analyticae.
      Novi commentarii academiae scientiarum Petropolitanae 11(1765),
      pp. 124-143. Printed 1767.

E393: De summis serierum numeros BERNOULLIanos involventium.
      Novi commentarii academiae scientiarum Petropolitanae 14(1769),
      pp. 129-167. Printed 1770.

Thanks to Ralf-someone again :-)

Best regards,
Rainer Rosenthal