"interesting enough"

Marc LeBrun mlb at fxpt.com
Wed Nov 19 20:18:32 CET 2003

 >=Mitchell Harris <harris at tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de>
 > To be pedantic, if that's the word I am looking for:
 > Though the sequences (of "interest") are mostly infinite,
 > they are countable since they each require a finite description.
 > Therefore the possible sequences in the OEIS are countable, and
 > a countable set has many possible well-founded orderings.

You call *that* pedantic?  You want pedantic, here's pedantic:

The above argument commits the error of "petitio principii" [1] by assuming
a finite description requirement.

The assumption demands verification via application of a simple
experimental predicate: please submit a sequence with an infinite
description to see if Neil rejects it!