Probability of finding a small number within a much larger one

Hans Havermann hahaj at rogers.com
Thu Nov 27 23:21:59 CET 2003

I wrote:

> Specifically, I've determined that 10000013 is the smallest length-8
> number not found embedded in the 369693100 digits of 9^(9^9). Could
> someone with a good grasp of probability make the case that the
> time-consuming search of length-7 numbers is not likely to yield a
> smaller result?

Well, maybe it's not as difficult as I had imagined. Assuming random
distribution of digits... ninety million length-8 numbers yield an
expectation of only 4 hits for each one, whereas nine million length-7
numbers yield an expectation of 41 hits for each one. The former is
close enough to zero to fail for a fraction of those numbers, whereas
the latter would require a sizable deviation.