Genji-mon

y.kohmoto zbi74583 at boat.zero.ad.jp
Sun Sep 7 07:47:31 CEST 2003

    Hello Antti
    You wrote :
>So, if there are so much free space among the upper half
>of the 32-bit codepoints, then why not suggest a specific
>range for the 52 or (53/54) Genji-mon also?
>Those who have not followed this thread from the start,
>please follow the John Fiorillo's and Kazuhiro Kunii's links from
>http://www.research.att.com/projects/OEIS?Anum=A000110

>After having get that approved, it would natural to suggest
>other gems from the combinatorial cornucopia, all the denizens
>of the Catalania upto a certain size, etc.
>(Am I joking or not? I don't know. But some people seriously want
>Klingon script to be approved into Unicode.)

    I think that it is a good idea to add various interesting characters
like Genji-Mon and Klingon    etc on Unicode .
    But before that, they say kanji users in far east countries don't like
Unicode because it doesn't distinguish the differences between Japanese
kanji and Chinese kanji and Korean kanji.
    It is      inconvenient for people in these countries.
    And also the number of all characters in Unicode = 2^16 is too few to
represent all kanjis.
    Ordinarily Asian people uses about ten thousand kanjis, and the
researchers of literature use a hundred thousand kanjis.
    It is believed that several hundred thousand kanjis exist.
    So, I think three bytes code is enough for kanji.

    When I knew the figures of Genji-koh, I wondered how about the cases of
n=3,4,6,....?
    Fortunately, Hirokazu Kunii explained about it in the page " this
month's incense ", June, on his home page.
    He said he had prepared it before my mail asking about Genji-koh.
    I am lucky

    A quote from his page :
    >In Takebe's "A secret book of incense-Tao", 1669, there are
descriptions about the cases of
    >n=3,4,5,6,7,8,9.
    >The case of n=3 is called " Santyu-koh ".
    >The case of n=4 is called " Keizu -koh".

    15 figures for Bell(4) are on this page :
    http://plaza27.mbn.or.jp/~921/monthly/monthly6/monthly6.html

    It is necessary to know the numbers of partition  for playing
"Keizu-koh".
    So, Japanese people knew Bell numbers up to 9 in sixteen century.

    How to play Genji - koh :
    Prepare five packages for each five kind of incense.  So, twenty five
packages exist.
    Select randomly five packages from these twenty five packages.
    Smell them one after another and answer one from all Genji koh's figures
which represent which package have the same incense.

    Yasutoshi