Permutation Of Some Primes

Leroy Quet qq-quet at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 2 00:14:47 CEST 2004

Your solution is different than mine, so there are at least 2 solutions
not including the   sequences' reflections and rotations.

I give my answer below.

Jim Nastos wrote:

>On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Leroy Quet wrote:
>
>> I leave as a challenge, which I did myself in not too much time by
>> trial-and-error and by-hand,
>> find the permutation of the first 10 primes (those primes <= 29) so that
>> the greatest prime divisors form a permutation of the first 9 primes
>> (those primes <= 23).
>
>  Hint: there's only one way to build the primes 19 and 23, which then
>imply only one way to build 11.
>
>(Spoiler space)

>Leroy,
>you mention "the permutation" of the first 10 primes... did you
>exhaustively show this is unique (of course, unique up to reversal of the
>permuation.) I suppose with the facts I mention above, an exhaustive
>search wouldn't be too hard.
>The answer I got was 23 7 5 29 17 2 11 3 19 13 yielding the 10-1 distinct
>primes 5 3 17 23 19 13 7 11 2

My answer:

5, 2, 17, 29, 23, 11, 13, 19, 3, 7

primes:
7, 19, 23, 13, 17, 3, 2, 11, 5

(And we can also break the sequence between the 11 and the 13 , and then
switch the halves around and reconnect; this is what I meant by
"rotation" above.)

thanks,
Leroy Quet