"See also:"

Jim Nastos nastos at cs.ualberta.ca
Mon Apr 12 17:31:25 CEST 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Rob Pratt wrote:

> I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but I think a nice
> feature of the database would be to automatically make the "See also"
> references symmetric in the following sense.  If the "See also" line in
> sequence X refers to sequence Y, then the "See also" line in sequence Y
> refers to sequence X.  I think this feature would make the database more
> navigable, and it would also make entering new cross references half as
> cumbersome.

  How about, instead, every "see also" link simply opens the links in a
new browser window? That is a fairly simple change.
  A two-way "see also" system would probably clutter a lot of popular
sequences. Take all the sequences that relate to primes and/or nonprimes
in some way; they should all (ideally) link back to the prime sequence,
but imagine if the prime sequence had a see-also link to every sequence
out there relating to primes. (And the same problem would exist for any
  Maybe not every sequence related to primes links to primes since primes
are so universally well-known, but its not hard to find less-universally-
known sequences that are still sufficiently popular, and the same problem
would apply (fibonacci, lucas, squarefree, prime powers, #graphs, etc.)