A binomial sum

Karol PENSON penson at lptl.jussieu.fr
Tue Apr 20 00:00:18 CEST 2004

The third product in Henry's mail can be expressed with the gamma
function. Since the gamma function is as common tool as factorial
I still believe that the second line below is a closed form of the first.

simplify(product(3*j-2,j=1..n));
                    (n + 1/2)
                   3          GAMMA(n + 1/3) GAMMA(2/3)
               1/2 ------------------------------------
                                    Pi

Cheers,
 Karol A. Penson

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, Henry Gould wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 17:16:38 -0400
> From: Henry Gould <gould at math.wvu.edu>
> Subject: Re: A binomial sum
>
> Gentlemen -
> If we tabulate ANY function, as e.g. a Table of Prime numbers, or admit a
> Hypergeometric function as a tabulated function, then of course we have a
> "closed form".
> We can express the product of the even nunbers 2,4,6,...2n by the "closed
> form" (2^n)n!.
> We can express the product of the odd numbers 1,3,5,...2n-1 by the "closed
> form" (2n)!/(2^n)n!,
> but we cannot do the same with the product of 1,4,7,10,13,16,...,3n-2.  Of
> course if we admit another this as a tabulated function and assign it a
> name, e.g. P(n,3), then we ipso facto have a "formula."
> It is all relative to what we accept as an "elementary" function. My point
> is that the sum in the query cannot be done with simple factorial products
> and ratios.
>
> Cheers and Salud!
>
> Henry

Karol A. PENSON
Universite Paris 6              |  Internet : penson at lptl.jussieu.fr.
Lab. Physique Theorique des     |
Liquides                        | http://www.lptl.jussieu.fr/users/penson
4, place Jussieu, Tour 16, Et. 5|      Tel : (33 1) 44 27 72 33
75252 Paris Cedex 05, France    |      Fax : (33 1) 44 27 51 00