converting sequences to music - help needed

Henry Gould gould at math.wvu.edu
Mon Apr 26 20:56:08 CEST 2004

Neil Sloane wrote

> Does any seqfan know about synthesizing music?
>
> I would like to convert certain sequences to music,
> to hear what they sound like.
>
> Thanks!  Neil

Hey Neil! are you really serious about this?
I am reminded of something I read many years ago in the old German
encyclopedia "Der Grosse Brockhaus" about (I believe) an Austrian composer
who wanted to capture the spirit of old Vienna. He took a drawing (or even a
photo) of the countryside and drew the usual five music lines across the
picture. Then he marked off points at regular interals where the hilltops
touched the lines, marking off notes (whole, half, quarter, ...) and thus
made a musical score. I think it sounded pretty bad when played on a piano
or whatever. Maybe somebody recalls his name?

Isn't this the same kind of monsenical, spooky stuff to try with sequences?
How can this be serious mathematics and extend our knowledge of sequences?

Decrescendo,

Henry