the Mobius function

Marc LeBrun mlb at fxpt.com
Thu Dec 16 08:50:57 CET 2004

 > Is there a natural ... assignment for mu(0)?

Without disagreeing with the many good comments, it's worth mulling the
consequences of which properties we give primacy to in defining "natural"
extensions to sequences.

Mostly the thread here has emphasized mu's multiplicative character, which
is fine.  However that might equally well be seen as a derived trait rather
than a defining attribute.

Recall that the mu sequence arises in many guises: for example it's "also"
precisely the weights you need to invert a sum over divisors, as well as
the coefficients you get for the Lambert series for x and the Dirichlet
series for 1/zeta(x).

These all "happen to" coincide exactly when operating within the normal
scope of the definitions.  However "natural" extensions to any of the
definitions might very well diverge with respect to the others, and, while
individually reasonable, they may not be mutually consistent (eg as with
0^0 arguably being either 1 or 0).

And generalizations have ramifications.  For example, deriving mu from the
inverse Mobius transform, mu(0) arises as the weight of the term a(n/0),
thereby implying the existence of sequence elements of non-finite
index.  Until we're ready to tangle with that hair ball, we had better hope
mu(0) is (as Don Knuth put it) "not just zero, but strongly zero"!