More fun with transforms

Christian G. Bower bowerc at usa.net
Wed Feb 11 04:00:02 CET 2004

One interpretation of the inverse Moebius (sum of divisors)
transform is that if b = imob a, and a is a sequence of
the number of unlabeled a-structures on n points then b is
the number of unlabeled structures on n points built out
of identical copies of a-structures.

What if I wanted to build out of a-structures that are all
the same size (i.e. the same number of points) but not
necessarily identical. Easy:

b_n = Sum_{i*j=n} a_i*binomial(a_i+j-1,j)

I'll call this transform "samesize"

So the next step is to look for examples in the EIS. I found
a few.

A007503 samesize of (2,2,2,2,...)
A081543 samesize of (1,2,3,4,...)

It appears Benoit Cloitre has been working with this idea.
These two sequences give a g.f. for this transform:

B(x) = Sum_{n>=1} (x^n/(1-x^n)^a_n)

which looks suspisciously like the Euler transform. All we would
have to do is change Sum to Product.

Thus samesize(a_1,a_2,a_3,a_4,...) =
euler(a_1,0,0,0,...) + euler(0,a_2,0,0,...) + euler(0,0,a_3,0,...) + ...

This suggests a metatransform which I'll call slice.

(slice T)(a_0,a_1,a_2,a_3,...) =

and we have samesize = slice euler.

Does anyone remember when we were discussing Witt vectors and the
Somos and Witt transforms were created?