SEQFAN mailing list - Netiquette

Olivier Gerard ogerard at ext.jussieu.fr
Fri Feb 20 03:34:49 CET 2004

Bonjour, Hello, Guten Abend, Hyvaa Paivaa, Konban Wa ...

+-- Le reste du texte est en anglais pour éviter de faire trop
long avec plusieurs versions.  Si vous souhaitez des
précisions en français écrivez-moi directement.

+-- I post this only in english to avoid posting something
too long.

+-- Alles was folgt is auf english geschrieben. Wenn Sie
Erklärungen brauchen, bitte senden Sie mir Ihre Fragen.

Looking at the recent traffic on the mailing list, it
seems it would be a good idea for everyone to please take
a few minutes to review these classic recommandations
before sending his/her next post to seqfan.

I am always available (as far as I am awake and connected)
to help you.

Olivier
Seqfan Mailing List Administrator

- Have always in mind the confort and interest of your readers. Some of
  them have (rather) old computers, old mail software.

- Post messages on topic (integer sequences, mathematics, combinatorics,
  and other scientific or cultural subjects and problems arising from sequences,
  OEIS policy, OEIS records, interesting sites and articles ...)

- Quote very sparingly previous messages:  all subscribers have received
  them like you did.

- There is no race, no contest, no award for being the first to express
  an idea, or the most prolific poster : toughtfulness and care is more
  valued here than speed and volume.

- Prefered format is PURE TEXT.  NO HTML, NO ENRICHED TEXT or RTF.
  If your company or institution add a legal reminder or recode your text,
  change your provider or use a personal address to post.

- NO ATTACHMENTS : Offer to send them privately, or put them on the
  web and add the url in your message.

- An ideal message is under 5 Kb.  If your message is going to be larger
  than 15 Kb, consider rewriting, putting tables or data aside.

- End Signatures, systematic posting of your website urls or advertising
  are not ok !   If you want to signal your list-related creations to other
  members (books, web pages, programs, articles, ...) do it one time, in a
  specific message.

- Don't start or feed flame wars (personal remarks, asides on political
  and other delicate subjects).  If you are not satisfied with views
  expressed by someone, please try to communicate with him directly
  off the list.

- It is useless to put seqfan members in copy of your posts to the list
  as they will receive it several times, and it is likely to confuse
  their mail programs when they want to reply.

- Depending on the network condition, mail delivery delays may vary.
  In theory, most SMTP servers are configured in such a way that a mail
  cannot really be considered lost before 4 days (96 hours).
  Before to repost ask the administrator or another member and take
  your time.  I advise 12 hours minimum.

- I may decide to unsubscribe members who repeatedly ignore those
  recommandations and common sense rules.