report on recent OEIS activity

Leroy Quet qq-quet at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 26 00:15:57 CET 2004

>* N. J. A. Sloane <njas at research.att.com> [040226 01:59]:
>>
>> I am merging the obvious duplicates, and I am recycling
>> the A-numbers.  So if you submitted sequences recently, even
>> pre-numbered ones, they may end up with small A-numbers.
>
>I'm seeing an increasing number of published papers with explicit
>mention of A-numbers.  These authors clearly believe that A-numbers are
>a permanent label for a sequence.  I'm not sure this is enough reason
>to stop recycling A-numbers, but I thought I'd mention it.
>
>Brendan.

I mentioned a similar concern to Neil in an off-group email.

He replied that he was referring in his original message mostly to
sequences which were duplicates, and almost never changes A-numbers
generally.

In any case, I also suggested that if he did change an A-number, I
suggested perhaps at least including a "forwarding address" at the
web-pages of numbers which have been reassigned, so at least those
directed wrongly to given A-numbers can still find the intended sequences
anyway.

Leroy